I dunno, Mark...  From what I've seen in my (very) limited experience,
Pentax has a non-presence at any instructional program, at least as
far as digital goes.  Here in Boston, at NESOP or BU's Center for
Digital Imaging Arts,  Canon/Nikon gear is  pretty much required for
full-time students. It's going to take more than a budget lens to
break into that market.  (It might require the opposite.)  Seems to me
that Pentax has its sights set on the first-time DSLR buyers:  moms
and young people who are stepping up from a p&s.  Hence, the colors.

-c