Years ago the state of Maine Natural Resourced Department decided that they would put name signs at the bridges that cross streams. In a effort to be sure the signs represented what the locals called these streams they sent researchers around to gather information. In one case they were told "we don't really have a name, we just always called it the crick". Later that summer the sign went up that said "Crick Creek".