Connection speed is not just based on your modem it is also based on the
modem bank you are connecting to.  Also, connection speed has nothing at all
to do with computer speed.

Speed of the modems is a "theoretical" upper limit and you'll never see the
maximum speed as the phone lines degrade the speed as well.

Be happy you are getting 45k.  I live in the "internet capital" (just outside
of DC.  AOL down the road lots of technology, and I can never get above
33k....

Christian.
PS if you want speed get DSL or Cable but keep in mind that they are not the
end-all-be-all either unless you know how to play your ISP.