I kept thinking the same thing at numerous sites in Rome that obviously had not
been planned for electric lights, air conditioning, etc. Who did the retrofit!
We were there in 2009. The Chapel speakers are used for periodic announcements
asking visitors to be respectful, to be quiet, and to not take photographs. The
announcements are somewhat drowned out by the noise of camera shutters and
people talking. But it is a marvelous place if you can ignore the noise. The
virtual visit Cotty pointed us to is great but being there in person makes the
lines and crowds and noise level all worthwhile.

stan