On 2010-10-02 10:56, Christine Nielsen wrote:

I've decided to quit hunching over my laptop&  get a real monitor, to
be properly calibrated, just like all the cool kids have.  Not only
are my back&  eyes killing me, but I think I would stand a better
chance of getting some images out of my hard drive and onto paper if I
could get a reliable handle on the color management thing.

Don't overlook televisions. I have a HP LP2475w 24" 1920 x 1200 IPS monitor for photo work and a couple of TFTs for regular work on my computers. The HP cost me about US$ 600 a year or so ago. They've since replaced it with another model (I can't remember what it is) that's about US$ 400 shipped. They're excellent monitors with good gamut. /Much/ better than the TFT monitors for photo work.

Then a few months ago I "inherited" a home theater PC that a friend was trying to build and having trouble with. I got it working and hooked it up to my main A/V system. It's driving a run-of-the-mill 40" LCD TV and the colors are *awesome*. The blacks, for example, are far deeper than even on the HP, and the overall gamut seems to be larger. That said, I haven't calibrated it yet.

But, take a look at some of the LCD TVs before settling on a $1000 monitor. If my TV is any guide, you can get great performance for photos at much lower price points in TVs than in computer monitors.

--
Thanks,
DougF (KG4LMZ)