Subject: Re: Resolution Anecdote

Thu Oct 7 07:28:34 CDT 2010
Doug Franklin wrote:

On 2010-10-07 2:55, Bob W wrote:
> [...]
>> But the point of all this is that it's amazing how much sharper some
> photos
>> look at 1920 x 1200 on 15.4" as compared to the same image at
>> 1920 x 1200 on 24".

That's why what looks ok on 4"x6" prints might not be blown up to
8"x12".

> you can achieve the same resolution by taking a couple of steps
> backward...

True, but one typically doesn't.  Your display is where and what it is.
  Until some disrupting element arrives, you typically live with the
setup you have, rather than messing about with it.  It really makes me
wonder about some of the "too fuzzy versus sharp enough" judgments I've
made about my photos over the years.

Well, if you want to make a more precise judgement, you should do
pixel-peeping at the level when each pixel is almost discernible
by the eye. :-)

Igor