On Fri, Oct 08, 2010 at 04:23:26PM -0400, John Francis wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 08, 2010 at 04:21:29PM -0400, John Francis wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 08, 2010 at 02:12:26PM -0600, jtainter wrote:
> > > Sorry for this post, but I figure someone here will know the answer.
> > >
> > > A year ago I bought a cheap Nokia cell phone in Sweden. In a few days I
> > > will be leaving for Italy and Spain, so I will need to buy two new SIM
> > > cards for the phone. My question is: When I put a new SIM card in the
> > > phone, does the phone acquire a new number?
> >
> > Yes.
> >
> > The number will be one from the pool allocated to the service provider from
> > whom you buy the SIM card.
>
> If you will be using it in Italy and Spain, you probably don't need two new
> cards;
> a single SIM card (and phone number) would work in both locations.

One further point: the original (Swedish, I assume) number might still work;
that very much depends on what kind of service plan you purchased.

In theory pay-as-you-go plans often expire 90 days after the last phone call;
in practice this doesn't always happen.  My (UK) pay-as-you-go phone number
still worked when I returned to the UK over a year later.  I suggest you at
least try it first; simply topping up your minutes may be a cheaper option.
(That assumes you can find somewhere to top it up; many phones are tied to
a single service provider.  In theory you can get this restriction removed;
in practice it's often cheaper to junk the phone and pick up a new one).