Campaign photography can be artful at times. What I'm after is getting the "requisite" shots -- standard grip-and-grin stuff, but being on the lookout for compelling images. Granted, the sheer scale of presidential campaigns dwarfs US Senate campaigns, but I don't see why there can't be memorable photos produced from the events if someone is willing to look out for them rather than focus solely on "mailing it in". I can't help thinking a lot of the photographers who cover these events are so bored by the entire routine that they approach it the way a sweatshop worker approaches a sewing machine, or a crack whore approaches a street corner.

What I had in mind was looking for shots along these lines (albeit on a relative scale):

http://www.nytimes.com/packages/html/politics/20040719_px_JOURNAL_FEATURE/index.html

-- Walt