--- Shel Belinkoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi Nick ...
>
> I think the real test is to push a 400 speed film
> three stops and take
> the same or a similar shot using a film like Delta
> 3200, use the same
> EI, and process it in the recommended developer,
> which is Ilford's DDX.
> Then compare grain, tonality, and detail.

That's one reason that I said that it was the best
film/dev combo for ~my~ situation. Ilford Delta 3200
takes a couple of minutes longer than the HP5+, both
at 3200 same dev, to finish. Not only that, I swear
that the grain on the Delta at 3200 is much worse than
the grain of hp5+ at the same iso. Another thing,
according to the box of Kodak Pro 3200 TMax that I
have here, it is "nominally rated at EI 1000." Is not
the same thing true with Ilford's Delta? So there
really is not anything such as a "true" 3200 film,
right? You just don't have to push the Delta as far as
the hp5+.

> As for your comment that a hockey match isn't a good
> subject because
> "There is no way that a person can get all of the
> tones on a standard
> hockey rink to expose correctly because there is
> simply too much
> difference, and the film has not enough latitude" is
> simply not true.
> If you expose for the shadows and develop for the
> highlights, you can
> get the details in the black and prevent the
> highlights from burning
> out.  You may get a little compression in the middle
> tones, but your
> negs - and, therefore, your prints and your scans -
> will look a whole
> lot better.  Pushing a film will automatically cause
> a reduction in
> shadow detail, so you've got a double-whammy going
> here.

I work at a paper, I understand what you're saying;
but it takes me long enough to turn in a photo
already! <G>

> Just out of curiosity, how did you meter the arena
> and the scenes you
> were shooting? Did you actually measure the shadows
> and the highlights,
> or did you put the camera on automatic, plug in the
> flash, and shoot
> away?  The situation on the rink cries out for a
> spot meter and
> controlled development.

When shooting available with my fast lenses, I'll spot
meter off the ice and open up one stop; also checking
the darkest parts of their uniforms to make sure it is
no more than one stop under what the meter reads as
correct. When shooting with slower lenses (ie- my
300/4.5) and flash I'll set the camera to 1/250 @
f4.5, their is enough light at this particular rink so
that at that setting (with 3200iso) the meter reads
dead in the middle when spotted off the ice (which
means the scene is one [one-half] stop under), and I
set the flash to TTL with one-stop overexpose dialed
in. (Actually, since the af500ftz's flash meter only
registers up to 1600iso I don't have to dial in any
extra overexposure at 3200)

> And please take what I'm about to say in the spirit
> it's intended - just
> because the photos run every week in your local
> paper does not make them
> very good.  It makes them acceptable for their
> intended purpose.  There
> are other photos on your site that put these to
> shame, and some are
> amongst the best sports photos I've seen.  These
> hockey photos are not
> up to your higher standards.

Wow, thank you for the compliment. So what would you
suggest that I do differently? Also, keep in mind that
these were among the first hockey games that I've ever
shot. I've shot several since, and I think the quality
has gone up considerably. I'll have to scan some of
the newer ones for my site soon, if I get a second
free. :P

Nick
http://greetings.yahoo.com