The 50 macro is a great lens. Enjoy the new purchase!
-----Original Message-----
From: Godfrey DiGiorgi <gdigio...@gmail.com>
Sender: pdml-boun...@pdml.net
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 23:36:16
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List<pdml@pdml.net>
Subject: OT: new camera

I pulled the trigger and bought a new camera today. Sorry, it isn't a Pentax.

I usually don't buy anything new right out of the gate. Particularly
pro-class cameras ... I usually wait until they get well into the
market, until the issues and workarounds are known, until the prices
drop a little bit. I usually wait until my image processing tools can
handle their raw files.

The Olympus E-5 manual is in front of me. The battery is charged, the
50 Macro is on the body, a card is in the slot.

I'd put in an order for one yesterday on Amazon but their vendors had
already sold out the first shipment. No biggie, I'm patient. Today,
the local store called and said, "We have one for you." I went up to
see it, dickered a little on the price (sales tax here would be almost
$160), we came to an agreement discounting the price, and I took it
home.

First very raw impression: I did the Right Thing. Since I'm fully
setup with all the FourThirds pro-grade lenses, flash and accessories
I need, it only made sense to keep going and get a current pro-grade
body. I'd planned to buy an E-3 when the E-5 came out, take advantage
of the usual dip in prices. But when I read the spec, the E-5 had all
the right improvements for my needs. It feels great in my hands, I
like the control layout and menus, the viewfinder is superb. It's very
responsive, and pretty darn quiet in operation. The rest ... well, I'm
only a few pages into the manual as yet. There's a lot in here.

I hope Adobe hurries up with DNG Converter/Camera Raw and Lightroom
upgrades. I need to book some work and let this beastie pay for
itself. :-)

--
Godfrey
  godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com