Yesterday I spent a very nice day climbing Mount Herbert, the highest point on
Banks Peninsula at 919m (3000ft), from sea level.  It's more of a "large hill"
than a mountain as you can walk up it quite easily.

I only had my cellphone camera with me but I snapped a couple of photos from
the summit.  The phone was packed quite deep in my bag so I wasn't able to take
more of the way up and down.

http://www.multi.net.nz/mt-herbert/

On a clear day you can over the Port Hills, past the city and across the plains
to the Southern Alps and it's absolutely stunning.  But you'll have to imagine
that.

The weather at the bottom of the hill was very nice.  At the top it was another
story, VERY windy and cold.  I'd watched the weather report and had anticipated
this so I was properly prepared for it.

And now for the reason I went up.

The organiser of the iconic Coast to Coast multisport race, Robin Judkins, has
entered next years event.  He's getting on a bit and he broke his leg a couple
of months ago so he's doing it in a team - he'll be doing the mountain run
section (but as a walk).  That's a gruelling 33km slog up a riverbed, over a
1200m mountain pass and down the other side.

His teammate will be the 9-times winner of the individual event, Steve Gurney,
who will be doing the kayak section.  I think they're going to make a very
interesting pair :)

As part of his rehabilitation and training, Judkins is doing a dozen hill
climbs and he's inviting people to join in.  In total there were six people
yesterday.  Most of us took turns at running ahead for a bit of exercise but
everyone else went ahead for the downhill.  I stayed with Judkins on the way
down as I thought he'd like some company and really didn't want to leave him
behind in case he injured himself.

I had a great day and it was good to spend some time with such an interesting
guy.  Sitting outside the tearooms in Diamond Harbour was a real highlight.
Nice and sunny, warm and sheltered and we'd "knocked the bastard off."

Cheers,
Dave