Dynamic Range in EV has no effect on the amount of shades the K-5 can
discern, it is merely defines the maximum and minimum brightness
values which supply usable data at the same time. The ability to
discern individual shades (or more properly differences between two
shades) is solely controlled by how many bits wide the ADC system is.
The K-5 can discern 2^14 shades maximum across a 14.1 EV ( a
brightness range of 2^14.1) range according to the DxO tests. There is
no direct correspondence between the two.

-Adam

--
M. Adam Maas
http://www.mawz.ca