I have a Macbook Pro I got just over three years ago (one month out of
the extended 3 yr Applecare warranty I bought with it) and it suddenly
died on me Thursday. Wouldn't boot. Managed to rescue the few things I
hadn't back up in a couple of days (by Target Disc mode onto my G4
desktop). Started troubleshooting but despite single user mode fsck,
hardware test CD, swapping RAM about (with crossed fingers, I couldn't
get past a kernel panic screen. Bit of web reading and it looks like the
nvidia graphics card could be the cause in what appears to be a known
issue on my model. Went to Apple Store Bath (no, not an Apple Store in a
bathtub, it's a place called Bath!) and a genius ran the GPU tester -
yup "FAIL"....

The he brightened my day by telling me the logic board (with all bits
attached inc graphics card) would be replaced free of charge, ready to
collect Monday.

Say what you like about Apple but there's a reason some of us are fanboys!

--

Cheers,
  Cotty

___/\__