Wendy,
Studio phtographers solve the problem with ease.
And they don't use soft lenses or soft filters.
They use soft light!
(Direct light from a single open flash produces shadows.
That makes detail appear.)

Put your flash on an extension, just to the left of the camera.
Tape a piece of tissue over the lamp.
Put another flash to the right, about 3' from the camera.
Place a slave module on the shoe. ($20)
You might need a stand for the flash.  Use your extra tripod.
(We all have one.  Just admit it.)
Also put a piece of tissue over the lamp.
Shoot a few to experiment with the right flash placement.

Collin

At 11:29 PM 2/8/02 -0500, you wrote:
>Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2002 23:21:39 -0500
>From: wendy beard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: Portrait lenses
>
>A couple of days ago there was a thread about portrait lenses and macro
>lenses of roughly the same focal length (around 100mm). Excuse me waffling,
>but it's late.
>Anyway, I would just like to iterate, if anyone is thinking of going into
>portraiture, then don't use a lens that is TOO SHARP!
>Why am I saying this? I was just given copies of photos taken at my work's
>Christmas 'do' . Portrait of self and hubby by the Christmas tree. Good
>grief! It showed wrinkles ON wrinkles, it was that sharp. Heaven help the
>younger, spottier members of staff. Their portraits would not be sitting on
>anyone's mantlepiece!
>
>Wendy

*
"Get over it."