I was never one to bracket when shooting film, and most of my wasted images
were due to dull subject matter and poor choice of subject/angle/telephone pole
projecting from the subject's head, not exposure. My biggest hurdle with
digital is what seems to be a lack of exposure latitude that I can only
attribute to the automation of the camera making some bad choices. That said,
spray and pray is becoming more of a norm for me. After all, when my high
capacity memory card keeps telling me that I have 999 exposures left, then what
the hell. But I wish that this were not the case. If the digital camera would
give me a sweet spot ISO from which I had some confidence that exposure over
the entire frame could be salvaged no matter what the camera chose for me, I
could spend a lot more time composing and moving around, thinking more about
the subject.

For now, I have decided never to use spot metering on a dSLR. The area being
spot measured looks great, but that doesn't mean I can salvage the blown
highlights.

Jeffery