On Nov 21, 2010, at 10:43 AM, Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:

> She does a good job of covering the basic operations for Lr 3 in that
> video. I see she prefers to use a "by category" type of file
> organization. (There seems little point to me for a "by camera model"
> organization schema since you can always discover that inside
> Lightroom using the metadata filters.)
>
> Regards the structure of the image file repository ("where to put them
> on disk"), I wrote up the way I do it and posted it as a pdf some time
> ago: http://www.gdgphoto.com see "07 - Image File Organization and
> Naming Notes".

I have that, and am pretty much following your conventions for structuring and
naming files.

> Regards whether to use Lr to move the files to the repository or
> whether to do that manually first and then just add them, well, that
> depends on what I need to do for a specific camera. Right now, with
> the E-1, L1 and G1 bodies, I have Lr3 do the whole process of moving
> them to the working repository, making backup copies on an external
> drive, renaming them and converting them to DNG in one go. It saves a
> lot of time and reduces the possibility I make a mistake and put them
> in the wrong place.

I'm sure it's easier in LR than the way I'm doing it right now, but for the
time-being, till my grasp of LR gets better than it is right now, I think I'll
have a two-stage process so I can make whatever adjustments to organization and
naming seems to be in order before importing into LR. It's possible that down
the road, though, I'll go back to doing it within LR.

Regarding converting to DNG, I will now expose my naiveté by [1] admitting
that, again for the time-being, I am shooting jpeg, [2] asking what's the
advantage of DNG.

Though my mastery of file management is minimal I sense that I may be making my
first forays into editing soon. E.g., I did a lot of shooting at my camera's
highest iso setting at a community pot-luck the other night; the images are
fine till you look close; I'm now wondering if the instructions in the help
file for cleaning up noise in high-iso images might help me improve the quality
somewhat.

Eric Weir
Decatur, GA  USA
eew...@bellsouth.net