On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 4:41 PM, Jeffery Smith <jsmith...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> I would switch to RAW even with non-existent processing skills. The RAW
> conversion process isn't really difficult, and your results will probably be
> better. I don't like the camera doing any sharpening, color balance, etc.

In particular, if you are using Lightroom anyway, the processing for
raw or JPEG or TIFF or PSD files is presented by the exact same tools
and UI, so if you can edit one you can edit any of them. The
difference is that with raw files you have a lot more processing
potential to work with than any of the others.

Lightroom's standard calibration and camera profile defaults for raw
files are generally quite good (although usually different from the
in-camera JPEG rendering options) so there's little real difference
between doing the simple effort of bringing in JPEGs and outputting
them to size and doing the same thing with raw files. As soon as you
start to adjust things, however, the greater resiliency and
capabilities of the raw files are immediately apparent.

--
Godfrey
  godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com