From: Leon Altoff

Hello All,

I'm looking for a lightweight, sturdy and flexible tripod that has the
ability to slide the centre column very accurately (for macro shots
where I want to raise it 1mm from where it's currently positioned).
The maximum height I need out of it is 43 inches (109cm), and the
shorter it folds up the better, though I still need it to be sturdy.

I've come across the Benbo Trekker Mk3 Compact Tripod which seems to
fit the bill (apart from being a bit complex to set up, but I think I
can live with that).  Of course living in Australia it's hard to
actually view this strange and exotic equipment, so I can't try one
out for real (I can also save about $80 buy importing from B&H rather
than ordering and buying locally - I'm willing to support my local to
a certain degree, but not that much).

Is there anyone out there with experience with the Benbo tripod or who
has any other suggestions?

I have the Uni-Loc version. My understanding is the Uni-Loc and Benbo are designed by the same man. They're the same design. He started Benbo, then left to found Uni-Loc to market an improved version of his design.

You can google "Uni-Loc vs Benbo".

Pro:

If you need a tripod that allows you to cantilever the camera out from over the legs to shoot down between the legs, this one will do it.

The leg angles & lengths are independently adjustable. It is as flexible as you want it to be. One control locks the legs and the center column angle.

The upper part of the leg is the inner tube. You can go into quite deep water without getting anything inside the tripod.

Con:

It is as awkward as it looks. The leg angles & lengths and center column angle are independently adjustable. One control locks them all. It may prove to be even more flexible than you want it to be.

When you release the center column it not only slides, but rotates. It can be a bit of a pain to lock down.

You can't rotate the center column horizontally around the point where the legs come together. If you need the camera moved one degree to the left, you have to pick the whole tripod up and rotate it one degree.

If you really are looking to do precise 1mm movements, you better have the patience of Job. You'll probably dissolve into screaming fits before the day is done. You can do them, but they ain't easy.

You have to be very careful about the center of gravity. Extend the camera just a little too far in the wrong direction and the tripod will tip over and crash down on the camera.