Let me throw a totally different perspective into the ring here...

I know that this won't apply to those of you who don't shoot as prolifically
as I do however...

I use Lightroom as an editing tool and nothing more.  This is my workflow
after completing a shoot:

1. I open Adobe Bridge, and I go to the drive/memory card that contains the
images I need to import.
2. Then I do a really quick scan and delete off flash misfires, out of focus
and eyes closed shots.  I keep some that I might think are "redeemable" at
this stage.
3. Then I "select all" and "copy".
4. Then I go the folder on my external drive that I have dedicated to the
client I am shooting.  (I have my drives sorted into "Commercial Clients"
and "Portrait Clients", and each client has their own folder under this for
not only images, but for contracts etc too).
5. Then I paste.
6.  After everything has been copied over, I format the SD card, ready for
my next shoot.
7.  I go back to the folder containing the images (on my HDD), and have a
bit of a more thorough look and delete duplicates, shots that I don't think
will "add" anything to the collection, or shots that are "average" and that
I don't want people to associate with my name! (Ego? Erm, yes, just a
little!)
8. I go into LR3 and import the shots in the folder that I just copied.
9. After I complete my editing, and exporting of jpgs (one set in high res
for printing, and a second set that are in low res and watermarked), I
remove them from LR3.
10. I burn to DVD/usb two folders for each of my clients - a "High
Resolution" folder, and a "Low Resolution" folder.  In my contract it states
that they may use their images online, but that they MUST only use the
watermarked images from the Low Res folder to do so.  For obvious reasons
this is not the case with my commercial clients.

So, basically, the ONLY folders that I have in my LR catalog are those that
are waiting on editing, or partly edited.  As soon as my work on the
collection is completed and delivered to the client, I remove it as my way
of keeping tabs on how much editing I need to do.  We won't talk about how
many folders I have in LR right now, I'd rather not think about it, because
it is a tad scary...

I use Photoshop ONLY for extra special shots these days.  For custom editing
for commercial clients when working on their campaign "signature" shots, but
that is only after they have viewed the full collection of images and chosen
their favourites to give "special treatment" to, and likewise I use it for
working on canvas prints/collages/enlargements for portrait clients.  And
obviously for my web design/maintenance/advertising materials etc.

So a bit different to most of you, I would think, but helps me to keep track
of things so that I am not always drowning under it all.  But, man is it a
SWEET feeling to look into LR and see NO folders!  Something I have done in
about a year now!

Tan.x.