Hi Doug:
Mine is the 5x3.75 size, and I find it quite comfortable to work with.  One
advantage is, I think, that you can still accurately select areas quite easily
without having to make large movements with the pen.
And yes, I have both the mouse and the tablet connected all the time,and use
whatever is the most appropriate for the task, quite interchangeably.
The only problem I have is that the right-click operation is not reliable, and
sometimes the double-click doesn't happen when I want it too - but I think
that's me!

HTH

John Coyle
Brisbane, Australia