On Nov 29, 2010, at 13:23 , Ken Waller wrote:

> Unfortunately not a new phenomenon.
> I ran into this years ago when the PZ1P was still current. I needed the film
> advance motor to be replaced. I was told by Pentax repair in Colorado that
> they had no replacement available & had no idea when one was due. After
> waiting a few months I told them to replace the body (it was still under
> warranty) and viola a replacement motor magically found its way into my PZ1P !

Most likely to the frustration of the next PZ-1p in line for some repair work.
:-)

I've worked as a parts supervisor of a 1970's audio repair facility in
Framingham, MA. At the bottom of the hill below BOSE "on the mountain". When
the New York office called and told us to find the part "somewhere" in the
in-house repairs or unpack a new unit from the warehouse, we knew someone had
gone up the chain to get action on OUR lousy supply chain. This was back in the
day when we had over 150 various transistors, bins of resistors, capacitors,
diodes that we chose from to replace on a failed circuit board, well before
some bean counters realized it was less expensive to replace the circuit boards
when you considered man hours wasted on troubleshooting and making a component
repair on an unit that manufacturing costs were just over the repair costs.

That's why these days you are frequently advised (APPLE, are you listening?) to
replace a unit out of warranty rather than repair it. At your expense, of
course. To emphasize that point, they will engineer your unit obsolete in 18
months anyway.  :-)

Joseph McAllister
pentax...@mac.com

http://gallery.me.com/jomac