I was born in Virginia -- out of which Kentucky was carved -- yet, neither place seems all that anxious to claim me.

-- Walt

On 12/3/2010 4:52 PM, John Sessoms wrote:
From: Walter Gilbert

      This sort of reminds me of the ongoing dispute here in the US
between Kentucky and Illinois.  Abraham Lincoln was born in Kentucky,
but spent most of his life and political career in Illinois.  Illinois
claims to be the Land of Lincoln ... but, we still have his old log
cabin birthplace here in Kentucky.

Oddly enough, Kentucky was also the birthplace of the president of the
Confederacy, Jefferson Davis, during the Civil War, and never officially
seceded from, nor joined, the Union.  Thus concludes today's "Moment of
Pedantry" -- with your host, Walt Gilbert.

Andrew Jackson is claimed by North Carolina, South Carolina and Tennessee. Jackson was born in the Waxhaws area disputed between North Carolina & South Carolina. His exact birth place is unknown, and both states claim it is within their state as the boundary was eventually settled.

In 1787, Jackson was admitted to the bar in Jonesborough in the "Western District of North Carolina".

The Western District became the Southwest Territory in 1790, and in 1796 became the state of Tennessee.

Article IV, Section 3 of the Constitution states that "no new States shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State ... without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned".

The North Carolina legislature DID give its consent for the creation of Tennessee from the former Western District of North Carolina and Tennessee is the only state thus admitted.

(West Virginia was admitted without the consent of the Virginia legislature due to some finessing of Constitutional requirements because of Virginia being in a state of secession at the time).