On Sat, Dec 4, 2010 at 12:57 PM, Kenton Brede <kbr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, I've been lurking for a few days here.  I'm from the Midwest.  I
> bought my first DSLR about two weeks ago, a K-x  with the 18-55mm,
> 55-300mm lens kit.  I've got a 50mm M f/1.7 on the way, as well as a
> polarizer and graduated filter.  I also picked up a cleaning kit with
> rocket blower and a manfrotto tripod and head.

Welcome Kenton. This is a pretty laid back list, and we sometimes do
talk about photography.:-)

 No one told me the
> peripherals were going to cost so damn much.  I feel like I'm
> hemorrhaging money.  LOL  It's sad but true.

Did'nt you get my memo.??

> I know next to nothing about photography.  I've read "Understanding
> Exposure" by Bryan Peterson and "The Digital Photography Book" by
> Scott Kelby; both have been a good introduction I think.  I'm
> currently reading "Creative Nature & Outdoor Photography" by Brenda
> Tharp.  Next on the list is "The Photographer's Eye" by Michael
> Freeman.  If anyone has suggestions as to which other books I should
> be reading, I'm all ears.
>
> I've never used any image manipulation type software other than
> Picassa.  I'm a Linux user and have evaluated Bibble 5 for a couple
> evenings.  It's crashed on me a few times and sucks all available
> memory and some swap when it imports RAW and builds thumbnails.
 PS Elements and or Lightroom seem to be the weapons of choice here.

> might have to break down and get a MAC at some point, if all Linux
> image software is this crash prone.

We have members here that use Mac, PC, Windows and Linux, so feel free to ask.

Bibble does have some cool tricks
> though.  I really like the heal/clone thing but I suppose other
> software packages have something similar.
>
> OK, I do have a question:
>
> Is there a page defining the acronyms used here, like: PESO, GESO,
> PAW?  If not, could someone enlighten me?

I think someone answered that for you. Post some photos and we'll pick away.

Dave Brooks

PS if you need spelling help, I'm, your man.

--
Documenting Life in Rural Ontario.
www.caughtinmotion.com