On Dec 5, 2010, at 12:55 PM, Eric Weir wrote:

> Playing around with the meter todoy, dipping in and out of the manual, I can
> see I'm learn from it. The manual's discussion of exposure in terms of flat,
> normal, and contrasting scences, and of the "brightness range" approach to
> metering/setting exposure strikes me as a simplified zone system, with -- for
> now, anyway -- just three zones instead of nine.

Damn! I spoke to soon. It appears the meter doesn't work. The sun came out a
little while ago, and when I tried it out the needle barely moved. I thought
the fact that previously it was "registering" on the low end of the scale was
because it was overcast and I was indoors. Apparently it's not registering at
all.

Can this be? What is there to break? Might there be something I'm overlooking?
The only control I see other than the dials you move around to get the exposure
settings after you get a reading of the light value is a baffle on the back
that you can flip over to get readings in low-light situations.

It really is a beautiful little machine, but not much use if it doesn't work.

Eric Weir
Decatur, GA  USA
eew...@bellsouth.net