Thanks for the great input Anthony, Leonard, Doug.
Very valuable information indeed

Here is a little more info based on your feedback and
few other questions:
-I do not necessarly need to use a white background.
Grey sounds good. Not sure what the editor wants but I
may suggest different shades.
-I do have a flash (Metz 40mz-3) but am unable to
separate it from the body, and cannot get the cables
to do so here in Rome thanks to the scarce
availability of Pentaz goods, and will not have it in
time for the shoot. is it still a good idea to use it
in TTL as the front light?
-I was planning to use a 135 f2.8 (Pentax FA lens) or
the 50 1.4 mm (Pentax A lens).
-I have a light meter, and I will be using that to
measure light, however anthony, i do not understand
when you say...
"Both lights of equal brightness (always measured at
the subject) will give a 2:1 lighting ratio which is
low contrast (ie. good for high contrast subject
matter). "
Surely 2 lights, same distance from the object (on the
left and on the right) will balance out and kill
contrast.

Lastly digital. I have access to a friend's casio
3.3meg P&S. I doubt the resolution though would be
good for publishing....or would it?

Thanks
Michele
http://greetings.yahoo.com