From: Jeffery Smith

An interesting way to keep them out of the attic is a strobe light.
They can hack just about any annoyance except that one. Not terribly
practical, though.

Jeffery

Would that work for squirrels too?

I did burglar alarms for 15 years, and I could rig a cheap strobe to a timer ~ 3 min or so and use an IR motion detector to trigger it and the whole thing can be powered by a 12v gel cell power pack (constant trickle charge with AC from a wall wart).

It wouldn't take 5 minutes to build it and less than an hour to install it.

The only challenge I see is finding an older version motion detector that doesn't have circuitry to keep pets from setting it off. If pets won't set it off, squirrels wouldn't set it off.

I'll have to dig around some at home. I may even have one still left over from my BA days.