Hi Kenton,

For the pic in question, I think the first you can look at is the
curves tool. Try to bump the highlights up a notch. You could also
play around with the white balance. Snow can easily take on a
off-white hue if the WB is too high. When you tweak it down, though,
you got to watch the shaded areas that will pick up a lot of blue from
cloudless skies.

For snow shooting in general, I always let the camera meter the scene
directly rather than off something else. If in doubt whether the
camera will handle the light conditions, I check the histogram and
look for how the highlights are distributed. With snow, you can expect
to get a nice little mound on the histogram off to the right. To make
the snow appear truly white, that mound in the histogram should be as
far off to the right as you can place it before it begins to stack up
like an overexposure.

hth,
Jostein

--