[...]> > Yes of course Mike. Thanks. I must admit, they seemed quite stoic.
> Were
> > the groups of your quite young? In this day and age it seems
> teenagers
> > grow up almost too quickly what with the internet...
>
> About the same as an average, with one or two older ones.  It was
> 16-20 years ago, so maybe there is something in the idea that
> youngsters today are inured.  I sincerely hope not.

I think you have to bear in mind that the camps were liberated 65 years ago.
Putting that in relation to when I was 14-16 years old that would be events
which took place in about 1905. Although people do have natural human
sympathy with other people from that long ago, I would have found it
difficult to relate to being flown overseas for a day and dragged around an
exhibition about the 1915+ genocide of the Armenians, while events such as
the Vietnam War, the Cambodian genocide, the war in Pakistan were immediate,
happening there and then, and all over the papers & TV every day.

I don't think people become inured but it's hard to see the value of this
when so many things are happening right now which we're not doing much about
and which seem to show that we have learned nothing from the genocides of
the 20th century.

Bob