On Dec 17, 2010, at 10:17 AM, Kenton Brede wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 7:25 AM, Steven Desjardins <drd1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I understand the need to overly touch up portraits, but the software
>> "Portrait Magic Professional Actions" removes all evidence that the
>> person has skin.  Am I  being picky or is this thing way over the top?
>>
>> http://www.photographybb.com/actions/premium/Portrait-Magic-Pro-Elements
>
> First, freckles are beautiful, why remove them?
> Second, I like most of the original photos on that page better than
> the touched ones.
>
> I really don't understand why these advertising people manipulate
> photos to the point the people in them look anorexic and sick.  I
> guess my aesthetic is different.....
> Kent

These aren't advertising photos. They're offered to promote a one-step software
tool that does a blanket sweep of any distinguishing skin feature. It's for
amateur portrait photographers and guys who want to please their girlfriends.
Pro retouchers remove blemishes and some faults but preserve skin tonality,
porosity, etc. Yes, some ads are over-retouched because the clients insist on
it. But i have never seen a well produced national ad that was retouched to the
extent seen here.
Paul