On Dec 20, 2010, at 3:56 AM, Daniel J. Matyola wrote:

> That is a very nice gallery, and certainly tells the story of the
> event quite well.

Thanks, Dan.  I struggled a bit on the day, wasn't feeling very motivated and
the rain & light weren't helping much.

> Is it a full triathlon, including a full marathon race?

No, there were actually several events which is why the pics might seem a bit
jumbled.  The final elite event was still quite short with a 500m swim, 15km
bike (drafting allowed) and a 5km run.  So really a sprint triathlon.  They had
a couple of olympic-level athletes turn up which was quite a treat.

>  Those hardy
> folks crossing the finish line certainly appear in better shape than
> those I have seen finishing the Iron Man, but the weather probably was
> not a hot as on Hawaii.

It probably was the day before, it reached 35 degrees C on my side of town.  I
don't know how people can do Iron Man races, it's absolutely incredible.  And
the fastest athletes do the marathon in well under 3 hours.  Jaw-dropping.

Dave