On Dec 29, 2010, at 6:26 PM, J.C. O'Connell wrote:

> that's correct, I bought it off ebay from china vendor for $20.
> Pentax doesn't make one because it (RF) slightly throws off
> the stop down metering at small apertures. It's a trade
> off I don't care about.

Thanks. After posting my previous response I re-Googled and did come up with a
Chines manufacturer. They have one for the K10D and DS. at $30. I checked eBay
and came up with this
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180326554642&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en
 which is even better, includes tweezers, etc. The instructions couldn't be
clearer than those at this link.

That said, I'm gonna wait to see what I find from the test Steve suggested. And
also see what results I get taking David's suggestion of paying attention to
the focus indicator in the viewfinder instead of what I see through the lens.

But all this brings up another question: What is the difference between "open
aperture" and "stopped down" metering? Would that be metering before and after
setting exposure, assuming you're not shooting wide open? And what are the pros
and cons?

Thanks,
Eric Weir
Decatur, GA  USA