>From the dictionary:

acutance : (noun)
the sharpness of a photographic or printed image.
• a measure of this.
ORIGIN 1950s: from acute + -ance .

As I use the terms, acutance differs from sharpness in that I use
sharpness to refer to the perception of detail where I use acutance as
the measure of detail. Resolution is a more specific term, usually
calculated rather than observed but it can be either. If resolution is
"observed", then it is a synonym for acutance.

Example: A 6 Mpixel sensor of size 16x24 mm has 2000x3000 photosites,
so its spatial resolution is nominally about 63 line pairs per mm to
first order calculation (half the number of photosites per mm).
However, given the addition of an antialiasing filter and other
factors like the algorithm used in the conversion of captured data to
a viewable form, the number of line pairs per mm that can be obtained
usually runs about 10-20% less, so the acutance of that sensor is
likely in the 47-52 l...@mm range. That sensor assembly can produce
images which display a lot of sharpness in perceptual terms ...
meaning the images have good edge definition (a product of contrast
differentials over short spatial dimensions ...) to our eye but that
actually don't have an enormous amount of resolution.

Make sense?

--
Godfrey
  godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com