All the qualities of a lens can be expressed in mathematical terms. When these figures are favorable I am usually persuaded that the lens is good. I rely entirely upon the contrast transfer function measured in a good laboratory for that warm confident feeling I get when I fit the Sigma Apo Macro Super 70-300mm (35mm) or the Sigma Macro 50mm (35mm) lens to the *ist D. Why? Because I no longer use film and know the images are as good as one can possibly get with that particular digital camera.

However, using an ordinary, slightly modified, web camera on a microscope that sits on the table behind me, I am able to resolve to the absolute limit of visible light and can image objects less than 200nm apart. By the way I have many hundreds of the same kind of images made with the *ist D and also on a range of different kinds of film. None are any better than the 640 x 480 images made with the web camera. UV light (dangerous) improves resolution considerably.

Using digital it is also possible to stack many (hundreds) of images and use a range of sophisticated software to produce more visually satisfying pictures.

Happy New Year everyone.

Dr E D F Williams
41660 TOIVAKKA
Finland