My monitor is correctly calibrated. In fact, it's new -- the iMac 27 -- but
basically the same contrast level, brightness and tonality  as my previous
monitor. Just better detail. My prints from the R2880 match the images on my
monitor.

Do you calibrate? Do you set contrast with a gray scale? Not picking on you,
Jack, but I suspect you have something out of whack. Then again, it might just
be a matter of subjective taste.

Paul.