Does anyone know much about the production of the 250 shot backs? I know
that they were made for Spotmatics and KX/MX/LX, but who actually
manufactured them?

The reason I ask is that I had a rush of blood on ebay and bought a couple
of the MX cartridges, which were said to be identical to the LX cartridges.
The thing is that they also look very similar to the Nikon MZ-1 cartridges
(for the F2, F3 etc), and the Canon cartridges and the Topcon cartridges. I
haven't found a picture of the spotmatic cartridges, or the olympus, contax,
minolta, miranda ones.

The Nikon loader looks a little different to the Pentax one, but the Minolta
one looks identical to the Nikon one.

Call me suspicious, but it looks a lot like some enterprising manufacturer
designed a 250 shot system that they sold to virtually all of the Japanese
manufacturers, who then adapted it to their own cameras.

The first one to appear on an SLR (Leica had a 250 shot RF pre-war I think)
was for the Nikon F. But this is different to the one introduced for the F2
in the seventies, which as far as I can tell is when the other systems
started to appear.  Nikon also had a 750 shot back and Minolta has a 100
shot back.

nikon
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/nikonf2/filmbacks/in
dex.htm#MF-1
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/nikonf3ver2/databack
/mf4/index1.htm

canon
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/canonf1/html/bulkfil
mback/index.htm

topcon
http://topconcollection.home.att.net/page8.html

Minolta
http://jwhub.xtdnet.nl/mug/mf-accessories.html

Miranda
http://www.mirandacamera.com/_collectibles/_rare/rare.htm

Getting back to Pentax things, after buying the cartridges and then passing
up an LX 250 shot back for $99 (because I don't have an LX) I did a bit of
searching and found an MX back in Canada, which hopefully is on its way to
me now. That was a bit  more costly than the LX back (at CAN$195) but comes
with three cartridges. So now all I need is the loader and somewhere that
will process the film.
B&H list the Nikon loader for US$290 and the Pentax loader for US$239, while
the Nikon cartridges are $55, the Olympus ones $65 and the Pentax ones $109
ea - an interesting spread of prices if it is all basically the same stuff.
Second hand the cartridges seem to be around US$30 ea, although my two from
ebay were only $22.50.

BTW, if anyone wants a Spotmatic 250 back badly, Pacific Rim Camera
http://www.pacificrimcamera.com/  has one -
27281 ASAHI BULK FILM BACK FOR SPOTMATIC MOTOR DRIVE, W/ CASSETTES, MAY BE
MISSING A SMALL KNOB, EX+  $250.00

Paul Ewins
Melbourne, Australia