Status update:

I previously had Microsoft Office 98 and Photoshop CS & CS2 installed on this system. I uninstalled them to recover the space for newer programs.

The only problem uninstalling is MS Office prompts for the installation disk - can't uninstall without the installation disk (which I'm pretty sure is in Raleigh somewhere). There is, fortunately, a work around. You can install a free MS Office 2003 Software Developer's Kit that has a tool to uninstall previous versions of Office without the disk.

(Just uninstall the SDK after you've uninstalled Office.)

I uninstalled the Photoshop CS2 first, then uninstalled the Photoshop CS components.

The CS5 installation went fairly smoothly. Only one minor glitch. Installing from an upgrade disk, I had to identify the qualifying product and provide the S/N for that product.

Didn't find Photoshop CS3 on the drop-down list, so I chose CS3 Extended. Installation program didn't like that, but the drop-down list on the *error page* DID include Photoshop CS3. Everything went smoothly from there.

Bonus: Now when I double click a JPEG or a PEF file, it opens Adobe Bridge CS5 to the folder where the JPEG/PEF file is located, so I can see all of the JPEG/PEF files located in the folder as thumbnails. I can right click any or all & select "open in Camera Raw", giving me the latest version of Camera Raw for CS5.

HOORAY!!!

Peculiar glitch with Open Office - kind of funny in a dumb sort of way.

After the installation, you can register the software. To register, you must have to have an Oracle.com account. It's free. You just select "create account" and you get an on-line form. The form prompts you to choose a "*user name" ... and fill in your *first name, *last name, company name, *email address ... (* == mandatory fields).

When you finish the on-line form and click *submit*, it errors out and tells you that you have the wrong format for your "user name" because it's not an email address.

I kid you not!

You'd think a database company could figure out that if they want an email address in the "user name" field on the form, the instructions should tell the user to enter their email address there.

Especially since the form has another required field where the user does have to enter their email address. 8-D

I still have to figure out what I'm going to do about the fragile power supply on this system. And, I have limited hard-disk space, although I already have plans for dealing with that. I'm coping for now.

My *BIG* new 32" monitor is working fairly well. I finally had to replace that old IBM CRT display that was so badly faded. That's why I waited until after the first of the year to undertake this project, so I could budget for the monitor in the new year.

Basically, when I went shopping, I found a choice between a 27" Samsung LCD monitor with a built in 1080p HDTV tuner for $349 or a $349 32" Samsung 1080p LCD TV with audio/video inputs for the PC.

There are a few quirks. The TV doesn't have the kind of *tilt* & swivel base computer monitors have, and I can't wall mount it here at the apartment. I'll have to live without tilt until I graduate and move back home.

And I haven't yet figured out if my monitor calibration device is going to work. Haven't even tried it yet.

The only actual problem I've noticed using the TV for a monitor comes when the computer is re-booted while the source is set to PC. On reboot, the "desktop" shifts 1/2 inch to the right (time display in the lower right corner gets cut off at the colon).

Easily corrected - switch source to TV & back to PC and the desktop is restored. A minor annoyance I can live with.

-----
No virus found in this message.