I hate you, Mark for providing a good reference.
It caused me searching for this book... :-)
Our library has only older editions (2001, 2004), so I ordered it
via interlibrary loan, also encouraging the library to purchase the new
edition.

In the mean time, I can see the electronic version of the 1st (2001) edition.
On page 3-22 it has the section "3. When your phtograph contains
people".

In general, you don't need permission to use a photograph of a person
if your use is editorial and does not defame or invade the person's
privacy (see below0. An eidtorial use is an informational use -- one in
which the photo is used to elaborate or illustrate and article or story.
For example, no permission is necessary to use a photo of a paratrooper
in an article about the Vietnam War. however, you do need permission
(known as a "release" or "consent"), for the uses described below.

* Your use is for commercial purposes such as advertising or to sell a
product or service.
Under right of publicity laws, you cannot use a person's name or image
for commercial (selling) purposes without obtaining a release. For
example, if you sell sweaters from your website, you would need
permission to use a photo of a model wearing one of your sweaters. This
right of publicity can survive a person's death (sometimes for as long
as 50 years depending on state law). There are some exceptions to these
rules. If your use is editorial -- for example, a photo of a fashion
model in a book about the fashion industry -- you can use the photo to
advertise the book without obtaining a release.

* Your use invades a person's privacy
[...]

* Your use is defamatory.
[...]

<<<<<<

I am not typing it all up (it's a gif image in the e-book, so, I cannot
just copy-n-paste)- just the excerpts most relevant to the previous
discussion.

As all legal debates, it is open to interpretation (``It depends on the
meaning of the word "the". ''), so you draw your own conclusions.
Personally, I think the situations described by
Paul fall under the category of "editorial use" described above.

HTH,

Igor

Thu Jan 20 08:49:44 CST 2011