Most studio-style lights have the option to remove the reflector
giving you a barebulb flash (which is what those fong-dongy things are
largely immitating).

I'm curious why you're not pleased with the lighting in your samples?

The reason I ask ... the light is good, but almost too flat for my
taste. Not enough directionality to it. And going barebulb would only
flatten the light even further.

Were I to do it, I'd start by setting my main light opposite the
mirror with a large scrim between the light and the subject (letting
the mirror provide fill).

I'm also curious ... seeing these are dance portraits, and you're in a
dance room, what's behind the curtain?

--
~Nick David Wright
http://www.nickdavidwright.net/