Ouch!  Oh, that is not fun.  We had a drive crash that had all our financial
data on it a while back.  A local computer guy was able to recover things
but I'm not sure exactly how he did it.  I do know he had to crack the hard
drive case and plug it into his computer with some sort of adapter.  Once he
convinced the drive to run he was able to use some recovery software on it.
Maybe there is someone close to you that specializes in hardware issues?