William!

As you know, All out of focus shapes are the shape of the aperture as traced
by the light source(s) - always. If the light source had been a point
source, then the edges of the aperture blades would have been reproduced
exactly - save for some minor diffraction.

You've not told us what this is a photo of. It appears to be an overexposed
photo of an out of focus, non point, possibly near round light source. If
the light source was (essentially) round, then you have 8 blades in your
aperture on that screw mount lens. I have the K-mount version which has 6
blades.

I'm not sure this would actually be called bokeh. It's more a fuzzy picture
of the "bokeh" generator. It would be nice if the "star" was exposed as
"gray". That way we could view the light distribution across the aperture.
I've noticed that this has more of an effect on the bokeh of many photos
than the shape of the aperture.

Bokeh (bad, good, neutral, disturbing) is a matter of taste.

Regards,
Bob...
--------------------
"Let us contemplate our forefathers, and posterity,
and resolve to maintain the rights bequeathed to us
from the former, for the sake of the latter.
The necessity of the times, more than ever, calls
for our utmost circumspection, deliberation, fortitude,
and perseverance. Let us remember that 'if we
suffer tamely a lawless attack upon our liberty,
we encourage it, and involve others in our doom.'
It is a very serious consideration that millions yet
unborn may be the miserable sharers of the event."
- Samuel Adams, 1771

From: "Bruce Dayton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>