On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 3:50 PM, Peter McIntosh <peter...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Oh - totally uninformed banter also most welcome... :-)

Good, because I'm FULL of totally uninformed banter - just ask my wife.

No personal experience, but in my opinion lenses like this are
designed for people who are allergic to changing lenses. In exchange
for that "convenience" you give up speed AND optical quality (there
must be a compromise in IQ for that kind of a focal length range. I
suppose it depends on your priorities and pocketbook. The one rating
on Amazon gives it 4 stars, and the reviewer prefers primes for IQ
over convenience. It might be good for taking into a harsh environment
(like Burning Man or something) where you purposely do not want to be
changing lenses for sensor-protection reasons. But other than that, I
just don't think I'd even want a lens of this range - unless perhaps i
was buying it IN PLACE of the kit lens.