Actually it's the /true/ normal lens on an APS-C sized sensor or film for that matter, the diagonal of the sensor is 28.8mm, (assuming the perfect measurements, which every manufacture fudges, of 16x24mm). Barnack picked ~50mm lenses as normal for his camera design using 35mm film for either manufacturing reasons or because he liked longer lenses, I've heard both stories, and the rest is history, On a side note; Another story is that he simply used a double frame of the then normal movie format. However there were also a lot of cameras making 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 which is roughly the same aspect ratio, which is also pretty close to the aspect ration of 1:1.618,. the Golden Mean.

What were we talking about again?