I feel your pain, but in the other direction. I've been using Win2K on my desktop it seems like forever. It's stable, does pretty much what I need, and I have no wish to upgrade. However the latest version of Pentax Digital Photo Utility, while it installs on Win2K wouldn't run. I was able to find a Hack to make it work, but no new version of any of the software I'm using for photography officially runs on Win2K. I don't blame Pentax particularly. It's a small player and it needs to carefully target where they put R&D money. I'm just happy my lenses work on my camera.

By the way, I think I read somewhere that the 645D will eventually support some kind of remote operation. When that happens I expect that the K-5/7 cameras will magically gain that ability. That still won't help you if you;re still using a K20 unfortunately.