Good to know, GD. I thought of that, but didn't look it up. Controlling LED
backlighting must be easier. Though you'd think it would be much brighter at
100%.

I re-read the manual for Dark Adapted today as I upgraded to the latest
version. In it they recommend you do your monitor calibration with it turned
off completely. Their reason is that once calibrated at full brightness,
Apple's firmware or software will maintain the color balance and gamma down to
the minimum in-computer brightness, and Dark Adapted will maintain and/or
adjust it further as you lower the brightness with their add-on software
adjustments.

On Feb 7, 2011, at 06:57 , Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 2:21 AM, Joseph McAllister <pentax...@mac.com> wrote:
>> I see no one yet has brought up a way to set the monitor brightness below
>> what the F14/F15 keys allow you to dim the display.
>>
>> My room is dimly lit. The iMac monitor is too bright to even look at at full
>> intensity. So I set brightness to the lowest setting, then use a program
>> called Dark Adapted which goes into your graphic card brightness
>> adjustments. This allows me to dim the monitor to 50 to 100 % of the
>> monitor's lowest brightness control setting. I keep mine at 60% all the time.
>>
>> If you turn off the computer, when it comes back on, the monitor brightness
>> will go back to full, so it must be set again with the keyboard, or in
>> preferences. But the Dark Adapted slider control that sits up on your menu
>> bar, will remain at 60% (in my case). Does not work all that well on
>> Laptops, but they tend to be less bright anyway.
>>
>> There is a set up screen where you sit your brightness so that you can
>> discern between the two darkest blocks on a stepped scale, while keeping the
>> two whitest block defined as well.
>
> Dave's new iMac has a lot more adjustability than the previous
> generation iMac's did in this regard. The iMac 24" were particularly
> difficult in this regard.
>
> But the easier solution than installing all these system add ones is
> to simply raise the light level in the room. You cannot adjust tonal
> values and colors properly with your eyes dark-adapted to ambient
> illumination below a reasonable reading illumination level. No one
> can.

Joseph McAllister
pentax...@mac.com

“ The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.”
— Kevan Olesen