Mon Feb 7 18:22:50 CST 2011
Paul Stenquist wrote:

> On Feb 7, 2011, at 7:16 PM, Igor Roshchin wrote:
>
> > Also, albeit very subjectively (i.e. without quantitative and
> > systematic
> > tests), I found that 17-70/4 tends to produce somewhat sharper images
> > of
> > the dancers than 16-50/2.8 even at f/4 or f/5.6.
> > The only way I can explain this is by different quality (or speed?)
> > of focusing.
> > I've been puzzled by that myself, and that why I chose to keep 17-70/4
> > last year.
>
> Sound like critical focus isn't properly adjusted for the 16-50. Have
> you tested and adjusted the focus point?

No, I didn't, and I realize that. But I just didn't have time and energy
to deal with that.
(I didn't do any focus adjustments on any lenses mentioned here.)

The first sample of 16-50/2.8 was showing worse results, so I just sent
it back to the store.
The second is much better if not good, as I don't seem to have
obvious problems with photos of static objects (e.g. portraits of people
sitting/staying, etc.). ... maybe not.. as photos taken with 50-135/2.8
in the same situation with the same subject appear noticeably sharper.

Igor