On 9 February 2011 04:19, AlunFoto <alunf...@gmail.com> wrote:

> You have 802.11n base stations? Cool. :-)
> Only up to the g spec myself yet.
>
> However I find that the throughput is far less than the theoretical
> max for the protocol. When copying files from my laptop to the PC,
> connecting through the wireless network is just not an option. _that_
> speed is abysmal. :-)

I've only got a g network too at the moment but my wired LAN has been
GB for years, the 802.11g comes now where near it in transfer speed, I
suspect that the overheads are far greater too. On the desktop I think
transfer speed has a lot to do with hardware and system software, on
the best systems there is little speed difference between FW400 (FW800
is a rarity) and USB2 (I have both on all my desktop machines) but
eSATA eats both of course (I have a few external drives with eSATA,
USB2 and FW400 so it's pretty easy to compare).

--
Rob Studdert (DigitalĀ  Image Studio)
Tel: +61-418-166-870 UTC +10 Hours