On 14/2/11, Ken Waller, discombobulated, unleashed:

>I especially like your choice of DOF.

Thanks Ken and all for the kind words.

Shooting digital with a manual focus at that focal length (even with a
1.3x crop) on the street is murder. The kissing couple especially was
difficult as I didn't stop walking. Bright day, ISO at 400, AE on the
camera, lens wide open. The only way to do that is bracket the focus. My
method is: camera up to eye, get it to where I think the focus should
be, take it a tad past that point, start machine gunning and bring the
focus back and past at the same time. I had the frame rate on about 4
fps (half the max) so I got about 6 frames during the time the camera is
up to my eye (about 2 seconds total). Then the moment is gone.

Doesn't work all the time.

If I want more DOF then I simply focus and compose wide open, then stop
down to about 5.6 or 8 and I'm there.

Amazing how such a wide lens at 85mm needs careful focus to get it
right. I had better compositions on the film students and an
(unpresented) mini-skirted girl on a bench, but the focus was the
slightest bit out, and so no good for showing.

Enjoyed it though - but you really have to be in the mood for street
photography. Well, I do anyway.

--

Cheers,
  Cotty