On Feb 17, 2011, at 9:54 AM, John Sessoms wrote:

> From: Larry Colen
>> I was experimenting with the flash at a friend's gig tonight, mostly
>> with a snoot, but with the flash off camera on a cable.  The
>> technique has definite promise, but it takes so much attention to aim
>> the flash with one hand, while doing everything on the camera with
>> the other, that it'll take a lot of work before I've got it solid.
>>
>> I think that what the technique really needs is a snooted flash aimed
>> by an assistant, several feet off camera, with an on camera flash a
>> couple stops underexposed, acting as an on axis fill.
>>
>> This shot, however, was done by bouncing my flash off a mirror, a few
>> feet to the left of the stage. Since Gypsyjack was on the left end of
>> the stage, I was able to side light him with the flash like this.
>>
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/5452691805/in/set-72157625947632715/
>>

> A little DIY magic with gaffers tape and you could mount a small LED
> flashlight to the strobe for a modeling light that would help in aiming the
> strobe.

That's an excellent idea.  Though I could probably get away with mounting it to
the snoot.  I suppose I shouldn't use my green laser though.

> This sounds like our first assignment in small format class:
>
> Photograph 36 strangers "up close & personal"
> ... 3 - 5 ft (with a "normal" lens, closer if you use a wide angle lens)
> ... off camera flash (at arm's length)
> ... 3 images of each person, different angles (108 total images minimum)
> ... 3 - 36 exposure rolls of 35mm C-41 FILM (so you can't chimp).
> ... record aperture & shutter speed for each exposure
> ... record Name; Age; Where the person is from AND an *interesting fact*
> about each person.
>
> Make an 8x10 print mounted on an 11x14 mat board of the best images of 5
> persons. Turn in contact sheets and the personal data about the persons
> (personal data went into the shredder at the end of the semester).

Sounds like a great assignment.  One of these days, I'll have to start a thread
asking people for their most educational photo class assignments.

> -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
>
> The instructor's recommendation for technique was to tape the lens to fix the
> focus and use your body to bring the person into focus in the viewfinder
> (worked for me).
>
> I shot 5 - 24 exposure rolls (too many is better than not enough) and
> "cheated" a little bit by carrying a lightweight light stand for the strobe
> along with me so that I didn't end up with all my images lit from
> photographer's left.
>
> Mount the strobe so it's at your eye level & just plop the stand down at arms
> length so you can use both hands for the camera. This is where the LED
> flashlight "modeling light" would come in handy.

I often put my strobe on the end of my monopod to get the extra reach.

> Bouncing the strobe off a mirror is a good idea. I don't think there was any
> opportunity to use it during the assignment, but I'll try to keep it in mind
> if I ever run into a situation where it will work in the future.

If you're ever shooting in a photo studio, there will be big mirrors.  Also
large windows work also.  It gives a sharper bounce than just a white wall.

> Oh, and that assistant thing ... it's what we call a VALS - Voice Activated
> Light Stand.

Love it.