On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 8:12 AM, Bob W <p...@web-options.com> wrote:

> over here it seems to be part of the cool factor associated with bike style,
> at least among a certain crowd (not necessarily messengers). I often see
> them drifting along on their bikes around the Clerkenwell/Farringdon part of
> London, looking great, but smoking, which kind of kills the look for me
> (smoked for ~20 years).
<snip>

As I understand it, over there they're called "Fakengers" (as in fake
messengers, but I'm sure you all cracked that code).  Here they're
more often called Hipsters (although really they're just a sub-genre
of the true hipster, whoever they are).

They ride single speed bikes, often with no brakes, wear the typical
messenger cotton work pant cut off just below the knees, a cycling cap
and a messenger bag.  Their bike and bag are usually immaculate, as
are their clothes - that's how you tell them from a real messenger.
That and the fact that many fakengers really don't know how to
properly ride a fixed gear no-brake bike safely.

I guess it's fun that some people try to copy us;  the irony being
that I've never done the "messenger look", usually wearing roadie
stuff (spandex bike shorts with a proper racing jersey).  It's just
more comfortable...

Speaking of which, I've just got clearance from the doctor today.  The
Achilles tendon is healed.  Back on the bike on Tuesday (tomorrow
being a holiday around these parts).

Woo Hoo!

cheers,
frank

--
"Sharpness is a bourgeois concept."  -Henri Cartier-Bresson