See below:

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 5:56 AM, Larry Colen <l...@red4est.com> wrote:
> Last night I tried John's (I think it was John) suggestion about clipping a
> light to the strobe to help aim it.  While it seems to help with aiming, when
> photographing musician in fairly low light, shining a flashlight in their
> face while trying to set up the camera seemed to be rather distracting and
> annoying.

Tape a large diameter straw to the top of the flash and look through
it to aim it.  Doesn't distract anyone and works in any light level.

> I didn't spend a lot of time shooting, but I got a few decent shots. I'm not
> unhappy with the results:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/sets/72157625975573645/
>
> I do think that it would work a lot better though if I had a small flash,
> maybe a ringflash, on the camera to give it a bit of fill, so the shadows on
> the face aren't quite so harsh.  Unfortunately, I can't quite figure out how
> to do this. Has anyone tried something like this? And succeeded?

You don't necessarily need a ringflash, any flash that is near to the
lens axis will work for the fill that you are looking for.  For the
style that you are shooting, the biggest impact you will see from
on-axis flash will be opening up facial shadows, and putting a
catchlight in the eyes, and opening up the wall shadows a bit (if you
can, get them away from the wall to avoid the nasty shadow on the
wall).

The style you are shooting though, works well with the single hard
light.  You might want to look at using a grid in addition to, or
instead of the snoot.  The grid will also restrict the light, but the
falloff if much smoother than a straight snoot.

> I suppose that with the K-x, I might be able to do something using the pop-up
> as both the controller and the fill, but I'd want the pop-up under exposing
> by a stop or two.  I'm not quite sure how to accomplish this though.

It may be possible, but AFAIK, the remote flash will need to be P-TTL
for this to work, and the pop-up flash will need to be able to as a
controller (I don't know if the K-x can do this, but two P-TTL flashes
should be able to).  You could also put an optical trigger on the
remote flash and use the pop-up to trigger it.  The downside to this
is that the pop-up uses FEC values, and the remote would be manual or
auto mode, so you'd need to play with getting the power levels right
(manual mode on the camera should work for this)

--
David Parsons Photography
http://www.davidparsonsphoto.com

Aloha Photographer Photoblog